The clinician educator track is offered to select internal medicine subspecialty fellows who are considering careers as clinician educators. This one-year certificate program provides participants with a strong foundation in curriculum design, education theory, pedagogy and presentation skills. Trainees will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to take a scholarly approach to teaching learners of all levels in small group, large group and clinical settings. This track is incorporated into the fellow’s specialty training program and does not require extending the training period.
- Didactics – Required participation in a 2-week Introduction to Medical Education course on the Washington University School of Medicine campus. This course is offered each fall. The course includes didactic sessions and workshops in learning theory, curriculum design, feedback and assessment, survey design, small group facilitation skills, presentation skills and professional development.
- Teaching – Opportunities for mentored teaching opportunities include: facilitating specialty-specific physiology small groups for MS1 students, mentoring MS2 students in bedside teaching as part of the Practice of Medicine II (POM-II) course, teaching core didactic lectures to MS3 students, and developing and leading didactics for medicine residents as part of the ambulatory core didactics and noon conference series.
- Scholarship – Track participants will be required to complete a mentored scholarly education project, with the goal of presentation at an internal medicine or specialty-specific national meeting.
- For 2-year internal medicine subspecialty fellowships, candidates apply during their first year of subspecialty fellowship.
- For 3-year internal medical subspecialty fellowships, candidates have the option to apply either during their first or second year of subspecialty fellowship.
- All candidates must be in good standing in their subspecialty fellowship and must obtain the support of their fellowship program director for protected time away from clinical duties during the 2-week Introduction to Medical Education.
- Send a completed application form, an updated CV, your Clinician Educator Portfolio (if you have one), and a Letter of Support from your fellowship program director, to Matthew Heaton email@example.com.
- We will be accepting applications for AY 2021-2022 during Winter 2020.